Sunday, July 17, 2022

Security and Accessibility for a Home

I wasn't planning to buy my current house. My original intention to visit this housing development was to find out about shop lots at this location. I wanted to compare the shop lots with the shop lots at my previous housing development. The prices were similar but here, the available shop lots were at the end of the housing development which made them not attractive. While the better located shop lots facing the main road were already sold out. The shop lots at my previous housing development is located at the main road. In addition, the shop lots at my previous housing development are located in a more matured surrounding.

In my first visit to this housing development, the main roads were only consists of single lane in each direction. I was shocked to learn the strategic shop lots had already sold out. But, the sales girl told me that the developer is doing pre-launch last phase of the housing development. She invited me for a tour. When I asked what is so special about the housing development, she informed me besides the security guards, the housing development has swimming pools and gymnasium. Since my wife was tagging a long, we decided to take a look even though it was not our original intention.

The last phase of the housing development consists of cluster and semi-D houses. The club house has sufficient space considering there are only about 550 houses. The swimming pool is large enough for many people to use at the same time. There is also a small swimming pool for children under 10 years old. Now, an access door is installed so that only the paid home owners can use the facilities and also ensure added security.

The fence is secured with tall and strong fences. Barb wires are also installed at the top of the fences. The housing area look fully secured. Some housing development were proposed on full fences but they were still under development. As a result, there are some security risks. After living here for more than five years, the committee decided to add CCTV at each main roads especially at each junction.

My wife main concern was the main roads were only single lane in each direction. But, we realized that the developer will be forced by the municipal to develop two lane roads in each direction which is confirmed by the sales girl. Since the traffic was not heavy in the vicinity, the road planning should be sufficient. Based on the distance, the housing area is only about fifteen minutes to my working office.


One year after I lived in the new housing area, there was rumor a new highway exit will be developed. This should be a bonus to us. Accessibility is always one of the main concern among the neighbors. It took another two years before we finally can use the new exit highway. This is better than some housing developments where the promise for a new exit highway was not fulfilled. The existence of a new exit highway cut travel time, gas cost and human energy in many directions significantly. The new exit highway also helps to reduce or assist traffic flow in the surrounding areas.

Living in this new home really taught me many important factors when purchasing a new house. Security and accessibility are crucial.

The bad news was the moment the new exit highway can be used, the municipal almost double the exit tax (cukai pintu) of my house!! This also means the value of my house is double from the purchase price.

Based on the selling price, it was impossible for me to buy the house and a shop lot at the same time. Fortunately, I did an extensive calculation to find possibilities to buy both properties at the same time, the danger and mitigation plan. All of these were done in a spreadsheet with many tabs.

No comments: