Friday, November 1, 2019

Planting Superfood Asparagus

I acquired asparagus tree in Dec. 2017. I had no experience planting asparagus tree and never ate them before. I thought it is bitter. Initially, I planted the trees in the ground of my home compound.

After six months being planted, the trees were dying as below:

After seven months being planted, the asparagus trees were getting critical. One by one the trees died. The soil is not suitable since there were water whenever it was raining. And it took a long time for the soil to drain the water.

Upon realizing there was one one tree left, I moved the asparagus tree into a vase on  4 August 2018. I put some essential nutrient to ensure the tree can properly grew. As the pictures shown, the asparagus tree was saved from destruction and grew new trees.

There was barely a tree still survived.

A month after I planted in a vase, the tree was getting healthier.

After two months, it was a relief to see new trees were growing.

After three months, the leaves were getting denser. The new shoot is getting thicker.

After six months being planted in a vase, the trees were healthier and sufficient to be split.

The roots had covered all the ground in the vase although there were still room to grow.

I felt it was time to split the trees into different containers. I managed to split them into three separate containers. The original vase was being reused. And one of them was planted in a 5L palm oil bottle!

The other two asparagus trees.

The process to split them was delicate. If I didn't careful, the tree being cut will die. I will wait for at least another six months before I split them again.

My family always harvest the asparagus rebung and put into a cooking. Sometimes, I ate the root? rebung? raw. When the first time I taste the rebung in raw condition, I was surprised, tt taste sweet!

No comments: