Thursday, December 28, 2017

Up Keeping and Planting Trees with Family

Let us review the condition of the garden on 14 Dec. 2017:






After only I week I cut the grass, they already growing very quickly. In some area such as below, they have grown for more than 10 cm.




The back of the garden, the grass grow slower than at the front.



The monthong durian tree is getting healthier. There are more leaves growing from the branches after I put some organic fertilizer last week. The soil surround the durian tree has not enough nutrient. So, I have to put the fertilizer more often.


Fortunately, the duri hitam durian is really healthy. I have put some fertilizer last week to ensure continuous healthy grow.


Now, it is time to plant new trees or vegetables.


Planting sweet potato (keledek Jepun): First, I have to make the soil bed. The original soil was removed for more than 15 cm and fill in with fertilized soil. Normally, we don't use seed to plant sweet potato trees. Instead, the sweet potato trees are cut into several pieces for about 15 cm long each. But, if you don't have any sweet potato tree, you can take two or three sweet potato tubers, cut into two pieces and plant them. Using sweet potato trees are cheaper, and you get more sweet potato trees bearing fruits quicker.



Tapioca:
Meanwhile, my 3rd children or 2nd son already digged a huge hole which is sufficient to put a lot of fertilized soil to plant tapioca. On the left picture, after planting the tapioca, I add four segment of sweet potato surround the soil. It takes three months for the sweet potato to bear fruit while the tapioca tree needs more than nine months to bear fruit. So, I am doing a small experiment whether this can be done. This is important since fertilized soil is expensive. Sharing the same bed soil can save the cost, time and space.

The already grown tapioca tree on the right is filled with the fertilized soil to ensure its healthy grow.




Extra Tapioca for the young leaves (usually cook like vegetables):

My son and wife like to eat the shoots of the tapioca tree. This is done by cooking them as per normal vegetables. Therefore, the extra tapioca sticks were planted in cramp and not deep soil. As long as the tapioca trees can grown from the stick, they are good enough. They were planted next to the sweet potato trees.










Early this year, I planted a Berangan tree. After a few weeks, the tree gave offspring to a little Berangan tree. However, three months ago, the mother tree was pin down by a sugar cane tree. I have to cut the mother tree to ensure new leaves will grow. As a result, the new leaves grow at a lower height and block the sun to the new banana tree. Hence, the new banana tree cannot grow up. Hence, it must be moved to a new location. So, last Saturday, I have the opportunity to move the new Berangan tree to a new location as on the left. While at the original location, I have to fill in with the fertilized soil to ensure the mother tree is healthy.



Mahkota Dewa:
Meanwhile, my daughter planted mahkota dewa tree. It is a herb tree which is good for men and women.


Misai kucing:

I cut a Misai Kucing tree branch into five segments and planted them at a new location as on the left. The extra segment of Misai Kucing tree, I planted under a banana tree.


Moving papaya trees to a new location

 Existing papaya tree after move next to the wall. The papaya tree looks healthy by looking at the color of the leaves. This is due to sufficient fertilized soil being put at the tree trunk.


There are a few other things I did with my children but they were minor tasks. All of these took us more than two hours. It was fun and a good stress relief.

No comments: