Sunday, February 7, 2016

Prepare Yourself Than Depending on the Government

World financial crisis is on the way.
It is worst than 2008.
In 2008 and 2009, Malaysia faced the financial crisis by lowering the interest rate to spur domestic consumption including housing development. Household and government debt were lower at that time compared to today. The tightening of the financial loans by end of 2014 was one of the preparation by the government or specifically by BNM.

Are you prepared? What have you done to face the coming financial crisis?

I am not sure myself whether I have made all the necessary preparation. One thing for sure, I am planning to prepare to lower the consumption cost of water, electricity, and foods. It is also important to have emergency backup plan for all these essential resources.

When I was a boy and lived in Muar, my village always faced water shortages. In early 1980s, My father have to prepare huge water storage tank, bought water pump, he cannot afford electric water pump, so he bought manual water pump. Normally, every three days, a lorry with a huge water tank will pass by to distribute the water. Since my father has placed a huge tank at the front of our house, my father's house has become one of the important place for people to gather and bring their own water storages when the lorry arrived.

That part is not difficult. The most difficult part is to carry the water to the kitchen which is about 60 meters away. We used various method to carry water, either using a bucket, a small storage tank on the back of a bicycle, a trolley and etc.. I remembered it was a commodity to be able to build your own trolley to carry a water tank. The trolley was also used for other purposes. During worst season, my father and I had to take water from the river which sometimes did not have sufficient water flow at all.

Then, in 1990s, a new water treatment plant was built in Muar which solved the water problem in the district. People thought it is a permanent solution. As time goes by, population and commercial activities keep growing. As a result, the needs for more water keeps increasing. While there are lesser sources of raw water. Malaysia is still a young population. So this will become a big issue in the future unless something is done now.

So, I don't want to wait the government to do something for a longer solution. I better prepare now by making sure my new house can retain as much rain water as possible. It is not as simple as you think.

Have you done any preparation!? Ask people in Kota Tinggi and Pasir Gudang. They wished they are better prepared. Now it is over after 3 months ration, it does not mean it will not happen again!


No comments: