Thursday, October 24, 2019

Harvesting and Replanting Tumeric

Turmeric has many health benefits such as preventing heart disease, Alzheimer and cancer. It is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It can also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis. Turmeric is always being used in Malay foods such as lemak cili api dish, fried foods, rendang, telur itek masak lemak and others. You could also simply add turmeric leaves in most of your food so that you can get a more delicious flavor.


A fresh turmeric is also more delicious compared to powder turmeric. Hence, I planted six pots of turmeric plants for my family consumption. However, during Ramadan this year, my family used a lot of turmeric leaves in the meals cooking. The addition of turmeric leaves had ensure the foods were more tasteful due to Ramadan deficiency.













Since my wife forgot to buy new supply of turmeric, on 20 Oct. 2019, I harvested a group of turmeric trees. Instead of planting the trees in bottles as usual, the trees were planted in the ground of my garden compound. They were next to my berangan banana trees. I planted them for more than a year.


The harvest was quite bountiful. Most of the rhizome was harvested as deep as about 15cm. In total, there was 96 gm of turmeric rhizome. Some of them were already about to grow new buds. Hence, I planted them in new pots (plastic bottles).



But, some of the rhizome (3 units) can be reused and I planted in a vase. The original trees were planted in a plastic bottle. If all of them grow, I should have 4 new group of turmeric trees.

No comments: